Sunday, August 28, 2011
1991 - Albums
I just realized that about 20 years ago, I was preparing to go to 10th grade ... for the second time. I've written about this experience on this blog. Many people know this event played a significant role in defining who I am as a person, educator and parent.
But I want to give thanks to the albums that got me through the rocky situation of being a 10th grader again, listed by how many times I'd guess I listened to them: [Album name - Artist (release date)]
1) Ten - Pearl Jam (August 27)
2) Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers (September 24)
3) Nevermind - Nirvana (September 24)
4) Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden (October 8)
5) Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet (October 22)
6) Use Your Illusion I and II - Guns and Roses (September 17)
7) Diamonds and Pearls - Prince & the New Power Generation (October 1)
8) Greatest Hits II - Queen (October 28)
9) Uncle Anesthesia - Screaming Trees (January 29 - but I didn't hear it until the fall)
10) Temple of the Dog (April 16, but like most of the masses, didn't know about this until after falling in love with aforementioned Ten and Badmotorfinger)
These albums and the constant playing and replaying of them were so helpful in getting me to barrel through those tumultuous days. To all of you who make music. Thank you.
at 12:39 PM